Nigel is the Managing Partner and Head of Litigation and Dispute Resolution in the London office of Mackrell Turner Garrett.
He is experienced in complex litigation matters, and various forms of dispute resolution.
Clients include in the banking and hedge fund sector [Indus Capital LLP, KBC Bank NV]; Information Technology and Management [AFD Software, Blue Cube Group]; Property [William Pears Group]; Motor [JLC Ltd (Jaguar Land Rover), Imperial Carriages Limited]; Publishing [Financial-I, Grapo AS]; Restaurant & Entertainment [Sketch, Wainscott Studios]; Architecture & Design [Space Projects Ltd].
A brief look at his experience of acting in the last year including cases with potential injunctions includes:-
- Acting for a US hedge fund against a UK bank in a claim for in excess of $10m claiming misrepresentation
- Acting for a UK based software company in a claim for £15m against a UK infringer claiming commercial infringement
- Acting for a US film producer in a claim against a UK media company claiming commercial infringement of rights
- Acting for a US high net worth individual in a claim against a UK architect designer claiming substantial over invoicing
- Acting for a SA company in a £12m claim against a Canadian conglomerate – share dispute
- Acting for a UK motor trader in a £1m+ claim against a UK individual – breach of guarantee
- Acting for a UK company director in defending a claim against an Iranian state owned business – alleged misallocation of payments
- Acting for a Middle Eastern Royal in defending a £20m+ claim made by a UK bank – alleged bank guarantee default.
Nigel has considerable experience in defending FCA prosecutions, and HMRC Appeals.
He is an International committee member for EMEA on Mackrell International, the independent network of 80+ law firms around the world and Chairman of the Membership Committee for Mackrell International.
As a result of the firms membership of Mackrell International, Nigel is very experienced in cross-border disputes, and multi jurisdictional litigation.
Nigel studied at Caterham School, City of London University before training at Mackrell & Co who he joined in 1988. He was made partner at Mackrell Turner Garrett in 1991.
Nigel has been a member of the Diversity Law Institute and a member of the Trial Law Institute since 2012. He was also made the only non-US f Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America in the same year.
Nigel has also been named Lawyer of Year 2016 at the InterContinental Finance & Law Magazine (ICFM) 500 Leading Lawyers Awards, which sits alongside the firm’s other recent recognitions including top rankings with the Global Chambers Awards, Corporate International Global Awards 2016 and Global Law Experts Awards 2016.